So she goes in every week for erbutux (which is a procedure that lasts about 5 or 6 hours in the doctor's office) and every other week for the chemo pump that administers two other kinds of chemo. Those two kinds are the ones that she has to have for 48 hours. I can't remember the names of those, but if you're interested, I'll ask dad again.
She also found out yesterday that her liver is extremely healthy, so they won't have to perform embolization during her liver surgery. That is huge! It's a testament to the word of wisdom!(More embolization info: Embolization is a form of palliative (non-curative) treatment for liver cancer. This includes tumors originating in the liver or those that have spread (metastasized) to the liver from other areas of the body. The artery to the liver is blocked off (embolized) with small particles to starve the tumor of oxygen and nutrients.
In certain circumstances, chemotherapy drugs are administered at the time of embolization or mixed with the particles to block the artery (chemoembolization). This allows a higher concentration of chemotherapy (compared with systemic chemotherapy) to be administered to the liver where it remains for up to one month within the tumor. This increases the effectiveness and decreases the systemic side effects).
Following embolization of the liver you may experience significant abdominal pain that may start during the latter part of the procedure and usually lasts 2 or 3 days. This may also be associated with fever, nausea and vomiting, which is known as "post-embolization syndrome." You will receive medications to control the pain and nausea during your hospital stay, which can last up to 5 days depending upon the severity and duration of the post embolization syndrome).
Looking good 3 hours after pump removed on Easter Sunday!
6 comments:
Such a trooper you are Jan!
Praying now that you can get rest and very few side effects.
Kellie you are doing a fabulous job keeping us updated. Please let me know what food I can bring!
Love you all!
Kristi
Wow, There is so much more to it than I ever imagined... You amaze me! And you look beutiful! Thinking of you,
Erin
Wow, Kel thank you for all of the information. I feel much more connected this time around! So glad you are there for her and for us.
Prayers, prayers, prayers, love you mom!
~ellie
I don't understand all of Kellie's explanation but perhaps this is part of the miracle we have been praying for. Ron & Jan, you are both the VERY BEST!!! Thanks for sharing this time with all of us. Kellie, I add my compliments to you as well. Thanks for the updates. Great job.
We are always here, Roberts.
Love to you both and your great family!
LARRY & SUE
Thanks for the updates, I love all the details. And we're praying, praying, too! Love and hugs from Houston. Hope you can get some good rest. Oh! We love you!
Jan, you totally are a trooper. I hope the sleeping gets easier. Have the doctors given you a pain patch or anything for the discomfort?
Post a Comment