Monday, March 30, 2009

1 DOWN, 3 TO GO

Mom had her pump removed Sunday morning. It has been rough going. The chemo is in full swing in her body, depleting every bit of energy. It has caused extreme fatigue, dizziness, some chest pain, and overall weakness. Sunday was the worst day so far. Mom said that it was worse than any chemo she ever experienced during her first round of cancer. She feels a little bit better today, and we're hoping that she'll get better each day from here on out. The doctors will probably give her a neulasta shot soon to boost her white blood cell count. Her counts were low before they even started the chemo. Hopefully, that will help with her energy level.

So far she has been able to eat pretty well. She's keeping the anti-nausea medication down so that she can eat. We were able to have Sunday dinner together, followed by a few bedtime stories. Eliza even snuggled grandma to sleep for her Saturday nap (yes, it really worked!).

9 comments:

Amy said...

Keep sleeping! If you keep this up, your chest will look like Jack Bauer's after he was tortured by the Chinese. I'm sure you feel tortured!
The before picture could look like you in another 55 years. The after picture won't be a problem for you - 40 is the new 20!
I will come and help at any time. Just say the word.

I love you, Amy

brooklyn said...

i'm so glad she has you kellie and fam!

we send love constantly!

M&M Fowler said...

We love you, Aunt Jan!! Don't know tough things happen to good people, and someday I'm gonna talk to someone about that. :) We're praying for your speedy recovery to Heidi Klum-ville.
Love,
Mary Anne and Matt

ps
How do you know you won't look like Tim Gunn when you're finished?? Hey, that might be better!

Jacqueline said...

I love you Jan! (Kellie too!) I'm thinking of you and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Have you had your Dr. Pepper yet?!

Ellie said...

Momma! I'm so sorry you have to go through all this yuckiness. You are so brave! Love the picture with Eliza, just keep holding on! You will get through this. Love you!!

Joseph and Katie said...

Aunt Jan and Family,
We love you and think you are amazing. I think you have such an incredible family who cares for you in such a way that I can't even express words....You will get through this!
Heidi Klum, here you come! :) Sending big hugs and kisses and then more hugs. We will be checking in often to follow how things are going.
Love, Katie, Joe and crew

Jordon said...

I call a snuggle on Saturday and Sunday! Love ya!

Marilyn said...

Heaven and Hell.
Hell: Chemo
Heaven: Snuggles with Eliza.

Emily said...

What a weekend! We love you! We love you! Wish we could be there to snuggle, too. Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better by today. Hugs from Houston!